Week of December 18th, 2017
Where We Live!
Enduring understandings that the student should have by the end of the unit:
• Homes are the places where we live.
• Animals and people have many different
types of homes.
• Some animals live with people.
• People and animals make homes.
Lessons and activities for the week:
Blocks-Pictures of different types of homes and buildings will be posted in block center. Students are invited to build the homes in the pictures or similar homes.
Pretend Play- Students will decorate a building facade that will be used in the pretend play area.
Art- Students will be supplied with popsicle sticks in order for them to create a home by gluing sticks onto paper.
Science- multiple pictures of animals and their homes will be provided in science center for students to match.
Math- Lincoln Logs will be available for students to build homes.
Library- Students are encouraged to look at two non-fiction books about homes and compare and contrast what they see.
Writing- Students will discover blueprints and create their own blueprint with blue paper and chalk.
Sensory- Sand and water, or play-doh.
Some of the books we will read this week are:
• The Three Little Pigs and the Somewhat Bad Wolf by Mark Teague
• Goodnight Moon by Margaret Wise Brown
• Tuesday December 19th at 9:00 a.m. Parents
are invited to our annual Holiday Show.
• Christmas Break is from December 22nd